Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A little bit about reusable menstrual items

Ok so this will be a lengthy informative blog post on the reasons there are to use reusable menstrual products! I keep getting messages telling me its gross, and it is something I think needs to be talked about.
Let's start out simple...

*Although most women think pads and tampons have been sterilized, they have not. In fact, no feminine hygiene product has been sterilized.

Yep thats right, those cute bleached white little buggers arent even sterile, who knows who has handled them...let alone what the bleaching process leaves behind. Your vagina is ultra sensitive, and ultra prone to absorbing whatever it comes in contact with. Dioxins are a super dangerous...and since there is no regulation stating that tampons need a listing of "ingredients" these things are passed along to us and our beautiful flowers!

*FDA does not require that the ingredients in tampons and pads be listed anywhere in or on the package.

Scary huh? So next time you get done checking to see how many calories are in a Newman O, think about checking tampons and pads to see what are put in those

*Over 12 BILLION pads and tampons are USED ONCE and disposed of annually, adding to environmental pollution.
Well how about I use organic cotton? Well that is much better on your body, but still filling up the landfills at a disgusting rate!


*A March-April 2001 E Magazine article states that, according to the Center for Marine Conservation, over 170,000 tampon applicators were collected along U.S. coastal areas between 1998 and 1999.
Yuck

*There are 85 million women of menstruating age in North America.

There are so many options for those of us who want to try something new.

Reusable Pads...I offer cutesy ones in my etsy shop, or organic hemp fair trade ones for those of you who wanna take it one step further with your tampaction!
http://www.auntflospads.etsy.com


They are really soft, and coming from someone who used to use throw away pads, they are much more comfy, I barely notice them!
There is also an entire team on etsy dedicated to reusables
eco menstruation team
here is our ning
please feel free to swing by, sign up and ask any questions or share any information you might have!!!


So you dont like pads? They arent comfortable for you and you want something more tampon like?
check out the diva cup.......http://www.divacup.com/


I also have a diva cup, which I use during the day when I am menstruating. It is very comfortable and I barely notice it! It is perfect for those of you who like tampons! When I get ready for bed I clean my cup and use a reusable pad for while I am sleeping...it is the perfect combination for me...What is right for you?

There is one more product that I have tried, which it was pretty comfortable but didnt last as long as the diva cup and the pads
its the sea sponge
http://www.seapearls.co.uk/
It is also not vegan, and therefore I wouldnt consider it a sustainable choice. Also harder to clean and keep clean!

I have a lot of resources I would be more than happy to share with you, and I am currently working on a zine about tampons and sustainable alternatives that I will be selling on my etsy site in no time!
Thanks for reading, and feel free to ask me any questions!

2 comments:

  1. Documentaries, videos, ebooks, texts and news related to permaculture, sustainable design, gardening, ecovillages, nature, indigenous people, animal rights,activism, (alter)globalization, ecology and health.

    http://permaculturemedia.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe no product is needed. Just a healthy diet and maybe exercise too.

    ReplyDelete